Welcome to the KDDA UK Website
We the descendants of the Kono District of Sierra Leone residing in the United Kingdom find it necessary to unite and discuss together common strategies for finding solutions to our diverse problems. The best way to facilitate our working together is within a social structure like the Kono District Development Association, United Kingdom (KDDA UK).
“Kwedondoya” ---- this word is taken from the Kono Language, which when translated to English Language means “Unity- with one voice”.
“Sustainable development programmes in Kono District and UK and togetherness within the Kono Descendants’ communities”
“Together the descendants of Kono will make Kono a better place to live”
Values are not only created through people; they are co-created through people inspired by a common purpose. The KDDA UK aspires to earn respect and be valued in the execution of its excellence drive to deliver outstanding functions/duties and demonstrate best practice as a charity and as a public organisation.
The values of the organisation as listed below will inform the rest of this plan and will influence the performance of our role as a charity:
- Independent: We will maintain our independence in decision making within our communities, empowering people and making voices heard acting respectfully for social justice without fear or favour, in the public interest.
- Accountable and Integrity: We will be proactive in achieving our mission and accountable to all our stakeholders, which will include involving others on a continuous and appropriate basis and taking responsibility for our decision making with strong moral principles.
- Togetherness: We will reach out, engage and unite with our communities, work as caring and respectful organisation, to all our beneficiaries and stakeholders with fairness, consistency and clarity in everything we do.
- Respect and Dignity: We place respect for others and kindness at the center of what we do: Working to make giving simpler and fairer for everyone because we believe all people are of equal worth.
- Impartial and Inclusive: We will exercise our powers and discretions in a way which is non-partisan, non-discriminatory, politically neutral and even-handed.
- Transparent: We will communicate with and listen to our stakeholders/ beneficiaries and we are wise in our use of funds and will be clear about our actions, intentions and expectations.
- Promote and Partnership: We work with others to help strengthen families and communities’ values and promote human rights as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and subsequent UN conventions and declarations.
The charity’s objectives are:
- To implement projects and community services in the Kono District of Sierra Leone; for the relief of poverty, the advancement of education, reduction of social disadvantage and exclusion, the advancement of civil society participation and the advancement of Kono culture, traditions and customs.
- To assist in capacity building of, and provision of resources to; community organisations in Sierra Leone that benefit the Kono District, the Descendants of the Kono District and the Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone.
- To promote good governance, accountability, transparency and best practise in the Kono District of Sierra Leone.
- To promote the responsible and sustainable development of the Kono District, the peoples and communities of the Kono District and the Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone, and work in partnership with community organisations, NGO’s, charities and other agencies towards this objective.
- To raise awareness, advocate on behalf of, and campaign for; the Human Rights, minority rights, community rights, and rights to their natural resources of; the peoples and communities of the Kono District and Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone.
- To preserve the ecology and natural resources of the Kono District of Sierra Leone.
- To implement projects and community services in the UK to benefit the Descendants of the Kono District and Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone present or residing in the UK for the relief of poverty, the advancement of education, reduction of social disadvantage and exclusion, and the advancement of their culture, traditions and customs.
- To assist Descendants of the Kono District and Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone present, residing in or in transit through the UK with advocacy, information, advice and signposting to resources and assistance.
- To preserve, promote and teach the language, traditions, culture, history and knowledge of the Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone.
- To provide forums for discussions, seminars, teaching and learning, community and social events in the UK pertaining to the Kono District and Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone.
- To assist academics, individuals, news or other agencies; with reliable research and information on the Kono District and Kono Tribe of Sierra Leone.
- To establish UK regional committees of the charity to further the charities objects throughout the UK.
- To promote under 18s civil society participation, inclusion and citizenship and establish an under 18s youth council, youth groups and youth projects in the UK and Sierra Leone.
ABOUT US (OUR BACKGROUND)
Map of Kono District